An example of a 52 ornament Jesse Tree done in felt.
There shall come forth a shootfrom the stump of Jesse,and a branch shall grow out of his roots. Isaiah 11:1
From the Orthodox creator of the 40 ornament Jesse Tree found here:
The Jesse is a beautiful anticipatory tradition for the great feast of Our Lord’s Nativity. A visual representation of the family tree of Jesus, the Jesse Tree offers the family a yearly opportunity to spend time with the great cloud of witnesses that St. Paul spoke of in his epistle to the Hebrews. And since the Old Testament should never be read in isolation, but always in light of the New, the tradition of the Jesse Tree offers that view into the Old, always illuminated by the Light of Bethlehem.
A group of us at OrthodoxClassicalHS are having an online Jesse Tree ornament exchange. Each person will volunteer to make 52 copies of one ornament. As each set of ornaments are completed and sent in, we will post photographs here. When all the ornaments are completed, hopefully in the summer of 2008, they will be divided and sent to each of the participants. Below is a regularly updated chart listing the ornaments, who is doing them, and whether they have been completed or not. Ornaments can be constructed using any durable material and quality technique. Size requirements for the ornaments are no smaller than 1.5×1.5 and no larger than 4×3. They need to be sent in by August 1st, 2008. If you are interested in participating, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or join Festal Celebrations.
A compilation of daily readings to accompany these ornaments are being devised and will be made available soon as a free download.
Update: The Scripture readings are now available here.
Supplemental readings and hymns are now available here (with more coming).
Patterns for a shrink-plastic version of the 52 ornament tree are available here.
Volunteers and Ornaments for the 52 Ornament Tree #1
- 34 Baruch: 3:35-44- Wisdom is the book of the commandments of God (Open Book – saying “I am the Way, the Truth, the Life” perhaps?) – Katie
- 40: Journey to Bethlehem (Manger — could also use altar from Isaac, as is done in iconography, and instead make Village of Bethlehem) – M. Jenny
- 46: The Star of Bethlehem (Star) – Barbara
- 47: Naming of Jesus Foretold (“JESUS” Banner) – reading should also include commandment to circumcise on 8th day – M. Jenny
- 51: Song of Zechariah – Dove carrying olive branch (because walking in the way of peace – Elizabeth C.